Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Portrait of Life: 3



Happy, happy 3rd birthday to you, Miss Lil' Dude!

Your birthday is finally here. You've been waiting and asking for weeks when your party would happen, when everyone would sing to you as you blew out your candles, how you wouldn't be shy in the spotlight. And you weren't. You were the most perfect little host ... and after you finished opening your mountain of gifts, you thanked everyone and told them they could all go home. That garnered many laughs. May you always be so practical and honest.

Again, we were positively overwhelmed with love and goodwill from your village. You are one very lucky and loved little girl. I hope you are always surrounded by people who cast you in the best light, and that you do the same for them. Relationships are what sustain us throughout life. Cherish them.

I emailed your aunties last night with a play-by-play of how we had spent your birthday together thus far and semi-jokingly told them I hadn't cried yet. I know, I know. I am hypersensitive. Daddy makes fun of me for my soft heart all the time. (Like he should talk!) I remember consoling your bestie E's mama when she turned three in October ... that there is no reason to lament this birthday. That we should be grateful in the day as we celebrate how big, smart, healthy, happy, and gracious our daughters are. That we should celebrate the anniversary of motherhood with anything but tears. True, it's easier said than done, but I managed to stay dry all day today. Even as you sat in my lap and we revisited your Birth Day photos from the hospital. What's that on my belly button? Uncle D. was there? I wore diapers. I had a hat on. That was my carseat. I remember everything from that day ... everything. It's tattooed on my heart.

Your auntie B. is preparing to become a first time Mama in a few weeks.

She mentioned in an email yesterday, "I love all things Christmas-related right now. I think it is an awesome time to have a baby. God thought so, too. Hah."

And I think she nailed it. December is beautiful. Everything is white- serene and sparkling. People make more room in their hearts for each other. Tradition is upheld. Miracles happen, and everyone wishes upon a star. I have always loved December, as I grew up celebrating all month long- Papa's birthday, great-auntie R.'s birthday, and Uncle W.'s birthday. You fit right into this fabulous month. December 7 was an awesome time to have a baby, and it will always be an awesome time to celebrate your life, one year at a time. We're so lucky today, and always.

Happy birthday, sweet girl.
Mama loves.

No comments: