Friday, February 27, 2009

A Piece

I have a secret.

All winter long, I've carried a little piece of the lil' dude around with me. In my brown, puffy coat with the fur, there is a tiny barrette. It is lime green and it's in the pocket.

At first, I put the barrette there for safe keeping when we were running around and she lost it.
A few days went by and it was still in my pocket. I would consciously tell myself to return it to her drawer that houses all her girly stuff. But I never did.

Instead, I found immense pleasure in touching the barrette in my pocket when I would go to the gym in the mornings.
Or sprint across the cold parking lot at work.
Or scan the aisles of the craft store getting ideas.
Or running to meet an Auntie at Caribou.
Or even taking the recyclables to the end of the driveway.

It's a tiny piece of the lil' dude and it always brings a smile to my face ... a secret smile. I feel somehow more close to her when we're apart. I know it likely sounds ridiculous- which is why it's been my secret until now.

Because, soon the snow will all melt and the sun will be warm and the grass will reappear.
And, I will stow away my brown, puffy coat with the fur.
And what will I do then?

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I do the same thing with Skyler's cars. In general I tend to carry a hot wheel or two around in my purse for just in cases, but I also secretly enjoy having bits and pieces of his to see througout the day.