Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting Back Up



There's a hundred adages and cliches about getting back on the horse which bucked you off.
About what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Try, try, try again.
They are old sayings- that your grandparents and great-grandparents have been saying for years.

And they are true.

Sunday, you fell off the swing onto your back.
And you cried and cried, and gasped for air {and scared your Mama} and cried some more.
I held you and soothed you and wiped the dirt from your clothes.
I gave you a reason to smile- a promise of a chewy, sweet treat once you could calm down enough to enjoy it.

And then I asked you if you wanted to swing again and you said, no, all done.
But, I made you swing just one more time.

It's my job to make you confront your fears- I'm sorry if you were scared or didn't understand my motive.
You have to get back on your horse. The bike, your swing.
You have to try the things which pose the biggest threat.

How else are you going to experience joy?
How can you feel pleasure if you don't feel pain?
How will you gain accomplishment?

By getting back up.
I'm proud of you.

No comments: