Monday, September 7, 2009

Letter from Mama, v21



You're 21 months old today, lil' dude!

And what a month you've had. We swapped out your crib bumpers for a real pillow. You wore princess Pull-Ups in lieu of diapers all weekend. We replaced your highchair at the dining room table with a booster seat. You furthered your communication skills, and you're getting in touch with your emotions. You love to tell me who is sad- the boy on TV, the Beagle, the bear in the storybook. Sometimes, out of nowhere, you'll proclaim it yourself. Lil' Dude, sad.

You also eased the word don't into your vocabulary- much to Daddy's and my chagrin. We remind you gently with each turn to be polite, but your stubborn streak is having an issue handling that. You insist on putting your own shoes on, putting toothpaste on your toothbrush, and meeting the Beagle at the sliding door to let him back in. Heaven forbid anyone help you. I know it's just a phase, and we embrace this challenge with the rest. I love watching your brow furrow in concentration. Such a big girl.

I was digging through some of my childhood boxes this afternoon while you slept. I found a particular, sweet baby doll -I bought with my own money!- and when you woke up, I offered him to you. Wow, you breathed, new baby. You gingerly put him to your shoulder and began your sshing and patting. You're a tiny mommy girl, and it warms my heart to see these traits in you. Have I ever mentioned how much I love having a daughter? Because I really do.

You still sleep in your crib.
You still let me read to you each night.
You still let me wash your hair in the tub.
You still make me laugh when you look me in the eye and talk to me for 45 seconds straight.

You now whisper to me, when you have something very urgent to share.
You now request Eskimo Kisses.
You now help me put your barrettes in.
You, right now, are wrestling on the floor with Daddy.
Looks like I have better things to do!

Shine like the sun, baby girl.
Mama loves.

No comments: