Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Village People

They answered the call, one by one.
I need your help.
We're here to help, they said.
We're happy to help, they proved.
All in the name of one little girl.

It's not as dramatic as I make it out. Daycare is on vacation this week, and our long-planned backup plan didn't pan out. So I called out the big guns. I called the neighbor, the Fairy Godmother, the Auntie, and grandparents.
And they answered the call without hesitation.



Tuesday the lil' dude spent the afternoon basking in the neighborhood sun, traveling hand-in-hand with her bestie E. as they went down the street together.
Wednesday she spent the day in a red wagon with her bestie AJ, dancing to Alan Jackson, working on sharing skills, and swinging tandem. I hear she spent last evening with her FGM eating a McFlurry and sleeping for 12 whole hours 70 miles from her bedroom.
Today she'll have her FGM's undivided attention as she dedicated a vacation day to our family. The lil' dude will be home when I get there, squealing MAMA, HOME!
Tomorrow, she'll wake up in her sunny room, smiling at her Grandpa as he surprises her with a full day of coffee drinking and book reading.

She's one of the luckiest little girls I know- she is loved and cared for by so many. The Dad and I are not alone in this adventure of parenting the lil' dude; we are so blessed to share her with everyone.
That my daughter can go with the flow, whether upstream or downstream, makes me proud of her. That she will open-armed and big-smiled go to the inviting arms of whomever, makes me grateful for her affections.

So, to all of you- for hugging her tight, arranging her ponytails, kissing her tears, thank you for loving her as only I could.
As only we could.
And to all the rest of you who offered, are still offering, and will offer, thank you. I know you'll do the same.

No comments: