Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Air

Yesterday was amazing.

I woke up feeling nasty, like I had a piece of Wonder Bread lodged in my throat. I sounded like Kathleen Turner and my right cheek had a heartbeat all its own. But. That's not the part of the day I am referring to in amazement though . . . obvi.

Spring finally cracked wide open here yesterday, the sun was hot, the breeze mild and warm. The lawns are starting to get mowed and you can smell bonfires here and there. I heart spring!

I went to work for a few hours in the afternoon, after I had slept enough for Kathleen to retreat and I could manage swallowing most of my spit. I was anxious to pick up the lil' dude from daycare so we could get home and Go Outside!




When we did, we tied this little blue bonnet under her chin (that's vintage, baby, my baby bonnet circa 1980) and let her soft pudgy arms feel the sun without a hoodie or her jacket. FOR THE FIRST TIME! We wandered around the yard, inspecting the buds on the flowering crab apple tree, looked at Mama's lilies poking through the flower beds, and peeked at the neighbors' pool still floating with winter-dead. We made circles around the new dirt pile that soon will be a veggie garden. We leisurely laid in the front yard on a blanket, watching the Dad spray off the truck. The dog yawned, and the baby sat up, showcasing her new core-strength talent. Neighbors waved and honked as they drove by. Girls from the local college roller-bladed the sidewalks with tan legs and very short shorts.

It was the best afternoon I've had in a long, long time. I felt so relaxed, super calm. I was happy and carefree . . . I felt like a commercial for wetness protection for shit's sake!

New spring, new baby. Each day brings something new, something that wasn't there the day before. It's all new and perfect.

No comments: